Sunday, September 27, 2009

A New Bishop

It has been quite a week. Not only are we preparing for our daughter's wedding in less than two weeks, but I had parent/teacher conferences at school that included a Book Fair and kept me at school from the early hours in the morning until 8pm. After the second night of conferences my sweet husband and I were invited to visit with the stake presidency, so knowing that I would need to be dressed properly, I wore my Sunday clothes all day, not out of line for a teacher at conferences, but also as a reminder of our important interview.

The Lord blesses me with tender mercies. He prepared me well for this change. For the first time in weeks I feel calm and peaceful. I have so many concerns, but I know the Lord will lift my burdens.

Our new bishop is a man that I have known for many years as our children are about the same ages, attend the same schools, and participate in many of the same organizations. Our families have carpooled to school and symphony rehearsals for many years. He has always had a big smile and greeting for us and we have felt a great kinship in our roles as parents. Recently our stake made changes in the boundaries of the wards and this family was moved into our ward. It was a hard thing to have happen, but this family followed the will of the Lord and have been very active in their new ward. Our ward is richly blessed. His wife and I serve in the Young Women and shared a tent at Girls' camp together. I have been deeply impressed with the great love this family has for one another, especially as I witnessed them prepare and send off their first missionary son. This family is a great example to me.

Now I am glad to call him my bishop. It was a testimony easy to come by whispered by the Holy Ghost as we learned of his call. I also know that Dennis is well prepared to serve as his first counselor. We have a great work to do in our ward. I'm certain that this new bishopric is ready to take the helm and lead us.

May the Lord bless and keep our new bishopric!

No comments: